How does it work?

Mosquito Control


Biting Insect Protection from 1/4 acre to 1-1/2 acres

Don´t be victimized by flying, biting insects! Enjoy your outdoor spaces in insect-free comfort all through the seasons with Flowtron´s affordable, effective biting insect solutions. With protection ranges from 1/4 acre to 1-1/2 acres, you´ll find a Flowtron insect control device that meets your needs, whether you want to dine on your deck, host a croquet game in your yard, or stage a wedding in your field. 

 

Trap Placement

The placement of your Flowtron device is critical to its success. If placed correctly mosquitoes will be attracted to the device before they can bite you.

Mosquitoes are not naturally migratory. 90% of the mosquitoes biting you live within 65m of where you are. The other 10% are carried in by the wind. Mosquitoes cannot detect your carbon dioxide footprint beyond 100m.

Flowtron outdoor devices should be placed at distances of 12-15m away from people areas. Flowtron devices will significantly decrease mosquito populations in areas from just over 2,000m2(0.5 acre) up to areas of just over 6,000m2(1.5 acres). This is dependant on the device model.

Each female mosquito can produce over 300 offspring during her 3-4 week lifespan. Our devices specifically remove only egg-laying females - for every 1,000 females trapped we are preventing 300,000 eggs from being laid (and hatching). As the females are trapped we also eliminate successive generations through an interruption in the breeding cycle. This usually occurs after 4-6 weeks of continuous use. At this point, you will notice a marked reduction in the mosquitoes in your catchment area. You must continue to use your device going forward to control those mosquitoes that drift in from surrounding areas on the wind.

Remember to change the Octenol attractant every 30 days.

 

For best results use the following guidelines for device placement:

  1. Determine where they are breeding. Flowtron devices must be located between the breeding area and people areas in order to catch the mosquitoes at their source before they get to you.
  2. Place the traps upwind from people areas. Female mosquitoes fly upwind looking for a blood target. After a female mosquito bites a human, it’s weight is doubled. The mosquito will then float back downwind to the normal breeding or resting area.
  3. Place the trap in an open area, not in high grass or bush. If placed in high grass the flow of the Octenol plume will be impeded.
  4. Place the trap in the shade. Mosquitoes don’t like the heat of the direct sun. As the sun sets, mosquitoes come out of their resting places.

 

FAQs

What attracts biting insects to us?

Our breath - CO2, moisture and heat are exhaled by us which alerts the female mosquito to a "blood meal" in the area. She will navigate to you by following the plume of CO2.

 

How do Flowtron devices work?

There are 2 types of Flowtron devices: UV light zappers and vacuum & gas devices.  Both types of devices use Octenol attractants, which when combined with CO2 enhances the catch rate of the mosquitoes.